Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Everest Base Camp Trekking Day 02 - Phakding to Namche Bazaar


Kongde Ri Mountain peeking at us.


After a cold night sleep, I'm starting my early morning with a set of American breakfast; at 7:45 am we begin our hiking. Immediately after Phakding town we have to cross another suspension bridge (Bridge No. 02). It's not that high which I manage to walk behind my sister in law without any fear and motion discomfort. This 103.40 m long bridge was built by the Swiss Association, Helvetas in 1998. After crossing the bridge, we're passing Rimijung, the Sherpa village. At the same time, we had the first view of Kongde Ri (4250 m) and crossing another suspension bridge (Bridge No. 03) before reaching Monjo.



 Bridge No. 02.




 Bridge No. 03.

 Thamserku? I can't remember.


Monjo (2835 m) is the Sagarmatha National Park Entrance. After about 15 minutes, we have to cross another suspension bridge (Bridge No. 04). An another 15 minutes we arrived at the Everest Guest House, Lodge & Restaurant in Jorsale (Thumbug), Solukhumbu (2850m) for lunch. After a set of Dal Bhat and a bowl of garlic soup...I'm starting to feel slight light headed and took two tablets of Paracetamol (Aspirin). I lay down for a while and had a good power nap for 15 minutes.





 Bridge No. 04.

 Dal Bhat, Nepalese traditional food.

Malaysia...everywhere.


After lunch, we started our trekking and crossed another suspension bridge (Bridge No. 05). We followed the riverbank over gravels and boulders before climbing back into the forest and a continuous ascent for another 1 hour. While descending at one particular spot, I had my first glimpse at the most highest suspension bridge on this Himalayan trek. "F**k"...the four-letter word whispering out from my mouth spontaneously. "Oh-kay..I'm heading there...FML...!"


 Bridge No. 05

 First glimpse of Larja Dobhan. Yes the top one. No kidding.

And..after ascending for an hour, we reached the Larja Dobhan Bridge (2830 m)...a drooping suspension bridge floating at a dizzying height above Dudh Koshi (Imja Khola) River. Suspended at about 100 m (328 ft) high, it is one of the highest suspension bridges in Himalaya range. (Bridge No. 06)

Ladies & Gentlemen...I present you...Bridge No. 06:
The Larja Dobhan Bridge. *gulp*

*(Mt Kinabalu (4095m) is home to the highest suspension bridge in the world (located at the height of 3600m) and also listed by Guinness World Records as the world's highest Via Ferrata..Malaysia Boleh!)

I'm going to be very honest here...THAT BRIDGE SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME..!!! My brother called it "the mother-f**ker of all bridges" ...LMFAO...!


From here after requires a healthy dose of bravery crossing the suspension bridge, it's a torturous, zigzagging ascent through pine forest accompanying by the sound of avalanches coming from the mountains nearby. We are reaching an elevation where we may experiencing the first symptoms of altitude sickness. At this point I was in a 'zombie mode' dragging my feet to climb the trail. Oh God..I can't feel my legs. Eventually, the trek levels out after two and a half hours before reaching the check-post at Mislung. What a relief..!!! According to experienced hikers, mostly second day always be the toughest among other days.



 Bear Grylls...ok just kidding..

Toilets provided. 50 Rupee (RM1.70).

 Mislu Check Post

 Kongde Ri Peak (6187 m)

Another 15 minutes to reach Namche Bazaar.

Namche Bazaar.


Finally after nine and a half hours hiking, trekking and climbing, I reached Namche Bazaar (3440 m) around 6:00 pm...extremely tired and exhausted....I broke into tears......

At the Comfort Inn, I had a nice gas shower, nice dinner and retired early that night.

No comments: